CASTLE WILDER

Castlewilder - B.S.S.M.

Wilder is the family name of the owners of this townland. J. O'D.
Castle Wilder - J. O'D.,
Edgeworth' s Co.Map, John Robinson, J.P.
Castlewilder - H. Butler, Esq.

This townland lies on the N. side of the River Inny, on the road from Carrickboy to Ballinacarrow Bridge. It is surrounded by the townlands of Vicarstown, Ardanragh, Agharra and Castlewilder Glebe in this parish, and by the townlands of Cloonbrin, Ratharney and Rathsallagh in the parish of Abbeyshrule.

It is the property of Mr. Wilder, held by deed for ever, and contains 235 acres. It is arable except for about 18 acres of bog, about 5 acres of water, and about 20 acres of plantation. It serves as a demesne to Clogh-doo House. On its west side is a Police Barrack, and the road from Carrickboy to Ballinacarrow Bridge passes through it. It pays 35 15s.to County Cess.

from Longford Library Archive


CASTLEWILDER GLEBE

Castlewilder Glebe - B.S.S.M., J. OD.

This Glebe lies on the road from Carrickbopy to Ballinacarrow Bridge, and is surrounded by the tds. of Castlewilder and Agharra.

Rector Jessop is the present incumbent of this Glebe. It contains 33 acres, the whole of which is cultivated. It pays 2 5s. 11d. to County Cess, and the road from Carrickboy to Ballinacarrow Bridge passes through it.

from: Longford Library Archive
(Parish of Aghara in Co. Longford)
These entries are probably taken from The Ordnance Survey Letters and/or Field books (1830's) - S.D.